How to write a press release: Template and guide
- What is a press release?
- Why write a press release?
- Guide to writing a press release
- Tips and best practices when writing a press release
What is a press release?
A press release is a written or recorded communication that is directed at members of the news media for the purpose of announcing something newsworthy.
Press releases are typically issued by businesses, organizations, and government agencies, and are intended to provide information to journalists and other members of the media about an event, product, service, or other development that is of public interest.
They can be distributed through a variety of channels, including email, social media, and traditional news wire services, and are often used to announce new products, services, or initiatives, as well as to provide updates on company or organizational activities.
Why write a press release
There are several reasons why a business or organization might write and distribute a press release:
- To announce something newsworthy: Press releases are a way for businesses and organizations to share news and information with the media and the public. If a company has a new product or service, has achieved an important milestone, or has made a significant change, a press release is a way to let people know about it.
- To generate media coverage: By distributing a press release, a business or organization can try to attract media attention and coverage for its news or events. This can help to increase the visibility and awareness of the company or organization and may lead to increased sales or other benefits.
- To build credibility: Press releases can help to establish a company or organization as a credible source of information. If a press release is picked up by reputable media outlets, it can help to build trust and credibility with the public.
- To manage public relations: Press releases can be used as a tool for managing public relations and controlling the narrative around a company or organization. By providing timely and accurate information to the media, businesses and organizations can try to shape the way their news is reported and how they are perceived by the public.
Guide to writing a press release
Step 1: Determine the purpose of your press release
- Announce a new product or service
- Share company news or updates
- Promote an event or campaign
- Respond to a crisis or controversy
Step 2: Gather information and create an outline
- Research the topic and gather relevant details
- Determine the key points and message of your press release
- Create an outline to organize your information
Step 3: Write the headline and opening paragraph
- Write a strong, attention-grabbing headline
- Summarize the main points of your press release in the opening paragraph
Step 4: Include the body of the press release
- Provide additional details and background information
- Use quotes from company representatives or industry experts to add credibility
- Include any relevant statistics or data to support your message
Step 5: Add a call to action and contact information
- Include a call to action at the end of your press release, such as encouraging readers to visit your website or learn more about your product
- Include your contact information, including your name, title, and company name
Step 6: Edit and proofread your press release
- Carefully review your press release for grammar and spelling errors
- Check for accuracy and consistency
- Have a colleague or professional editor review your press release before sending it out
Step 7: Determine your distribution plan
- Decide to who you want to send your press releases, such as journalists, media outlets, or industry organizations
- Research the best way to reach these individuals or organizations, whether it be through email, snail mail, or a press release distribution service
Step 8: Send out your press release
- Follow the submission guidelines of each outlet or individual you are sending your press release to
- Keep track of any responses or coverage your press release receives
Tips and best practices when writing a press release
Below are some tips to help you when writing your press release:
- Keep your press release concise and to the point
- Use active voice and avoid jargon
- Include relevant and high-quality images or media
- Follow the proper format and style guidelines for press releases
A well-written press release can be a powerful tool for promoting your company or product. By following a template and including key information, you can effectively communicate your message to your audience